This is a foolproof way to get salmon that is cooked perfectly so it’s still a little translucent in the middle (that is, not over cooked).
Never fail salmon
- Salmon fillet with the skin on
- Grape seed oil
- Cracked pepper
- Sea salt
- This method never fails.
- Toss the salmon in the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the salmon on a wide strip of baking paper (this step is optional but means the fry pan is clean at the end).
- Get a fry pan hot and make sure the fry pan has a well fitting glass lid.
- Place the fish (on the paper) in the fry pan and put the lid on. Set your timer to 5 minutes.
- Watch the fish cook, up to about 4 minutes and 30 seconds you won’t believe me. Then the outside of the salmon will start to go opaque and you’ll know it’s cooking.
- At the 5 minute mark turn off the heat and move the fry pan from the heat, break the seal of the lid and leave to rest for about a minute.
- At this point you could dress the salmon with a little warmed honey and soy sauce.
For my salad in the picture I flaked the salmon, but it also can be served as a whole piece quite nicely.