Last night we went out with some friends to the Chong Co Thai Restaurant in Belconnen and then enjoyed dessert at Max Brenner which was in the same area. Bron and I had been to Chong Co a couple of times before and enjoyed the food.
There were five in our party and we quickly agreed to start with the mixed entrée which consisted of a spring roll, curry puff, fish cake and and Satay chicken. The spring roll was quite peppery and the fish cakes had a lovely firm texture that wasn’t rubbery.
For the main course Bron chose the deep fried batter soft shell crab topped with tamarind sauce, ginger, shallot, coriander, crispy onion and mixed vegetables. The dish was enormous with at least two crabs.
The barramundi was rated with two chillies. For me it was bordering on hot. It was not uncomfortable but certainly sinus clearing. Mixed with some rice, this was delightful.
The service at the Chong Co is remarkable. The ratio of wait staff to customers is very high, nothing is too much trouble.The restaurant was fairly full with a good turnover of patrons. When full the place is very noisy and hearing conversations can be difficult. It would be good if the owner added some sound baffling to the ceiling and walls. The wait staff all look very good in their costumes and the decor is very inviting.
I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants a good night out.
After our main course we elected to enjoy dessert at Max Brenner. We’ve been to Max Brenner a few times before. Last night we tried a few different things.
I had a passion fruit waffle sundae.
Michael had a Max-wich
Bron had a banana crepe.
It was a really good night out. Given the proximity of Max Brenner to Chong Co, it was a great combination.
- Maestral and Max Brenner (garydavidlum.com)
- Dinner at Lemon Grass Woden and Max Brenner Belconnen (garydavidlum.com)
- Maestral Mediterranean and Seafood restaurant in Weston (garydavidlum.com)
- Bambusa and my birthday dinner (garydavidlum.com)
- Max Brenners & All Things Chocolatey (beanboston.wordpress.com)
- My happy place (garydavidlum.com)
- Max Brenner’s Chocolate Crackhouse (levonsobsessions.com)
- Seasalt Dining in Bruce (garydavidlum.com)