It’s been an odd weekend. Bron has gone away for a couple of weeks so I have to fend for myself. Thinking of Bron I made Brioche French toast yesterday morning and then we went to the local club for dinner last night. Today I cooked pork belly (my other white meat).
The Brioche was soaked in cream, eggs, vanilla and sugar.
After breakfast I went to Costco to pick up a new pair of reading spectacles. While I was there I happened upon one of the many meat cabinets. I picked up some red meat in the form of a rack of lamb and some scotch fillet.
I love my vacuum sealer. I can prepare meat and freeze it to keep for extended periods.
On Saturday night we went to the Southern Cross Club at Jamison. This is a local club and they do a reasonable steak. I tend to go for the scotch fillet with prawns and calamari in a Béarnaise sauce served on a bed of mash potato.
For dessert we had a layered meringue cake. It was delicious. I should have asked for ice cream too.
The meal was fairly good. The service is okay. Saturday night is a pretty busy night for the Southern Cross Club.
This morning I made a salami and Gruyere cheese omelet for breakfast. It was pretty delicious.
This afternoon I took a piece of belly pork and slowly cooked it in a low oven. After I got it to room temperature I scalded it with boiling water.
I then seared the skin in a saucepan while the oven was heating up.
I then put the saucepan and pork into an oven for five hours at 110 °C.
To the bake I added some curry powder we got from the Easter Show.
I served the pork with the sweet potato and some asparagus spears.
It’s been a good weekend, although I will miss Bron for a couple of weeks.
- Baked salmon and then a little ice cream (garydavidlum.com)
- My first Wagyu beef cooking experience (garydavidlum.com)
- Pie again and again it was good (garydavidlum.com)
- Crème brûlée French toast for breakfast (garydavidlum.com)
- Picnic lunch and then sausage rolls (garydavidlum.com)
- Tartine’s Lemon Meringue Cake (threecleversisters.com)
- Manly Omelets (lewrockwell.com)
- Mocha Mousse Meringue (rgrull.wordpress.com)