I’m not a superstitious person. Today was just another day. I went for a walk at 0445 AEST and as usual was listening to 2UE via 2CC on my 2CC iPhone app. Tim Shaw does the overnight program. He’s okay, he’s certainly not my favourite radio host. He was banging on about Black Friday like most radio presenters would be today. It got me thinking, will today be a bad day or a good day. Each day is what you make it. Sometimes things happen that we don’t like, it’s how we react that determines how we feel.
I got to work and on my walk to the post office the view of the sky was magnificent. Anyone who knows me knows how often I bang on about how much I dislike the weather in Canberra. It is too cold and dry in Autumn, Winter and Spring and too hot and dry in Summer. I much prefer tropical and sub-equatorial weather like in Darwin. The only glorious thing about Canberra though is the bright blue clear sky on most mornings.
This morning at work was busy but profitable. By profitable, I mean it was a good morning. More importantly I had lunch with Bron at Thai Spice. The menu is pretty good. we started with (#10) coconut and almond prawns (Deep-fried King Prawns coated with shredded Coconut and Almond flakes served with Sweet Chilli Sauce). You get two of each, that is four per serve. These were delicious.
One of the great things about this restaurant is the quirky attitude they have to serving drinks. We simply had diet coca cola, yet each time we have a drink they are served in different styled glasses. Sometimes wine glasses, sometimes dessert bowls, and often with odd fruit. Today our cokes came with apple wedges. We’re assuming is deliberate and not cluelessness.
For mains we each selected a curry. Bron chose a delicious (#19) Gaeng Mussa Mun Nuea/Gai (Beef or Chicken Curry with Peanuts & Potato in Coconut Milk). I chose a reasonably nice (#18) Gaeng Phed Nuea/Gai (Red Curry with Beef or Chicken in Coconut Milk). I say reasonable because the beef was a little tough. The sauce though was heavenly. It was rich a spicy and went well with steamed rice.
I like the Thai Spice in Woden and happily recommend it for anyone who wants a lunch time meal near a big shopping mall.
This afternoon was really good at work. There were some last minute urgent things, but mostly a good afternoon.
I wanted battered fish and potato scallops. They serve them in a cardboard box that gets wrapped in fish and chip paper.
For dessert I had ice cream.
So my Black Friday has been a good day.
- Dinner at Lemon Grass Woden and Max Brenner Belconnen (garydavidlum.com)
- A Bangkok Thai Cooking Adventure – The Best Way to Blow Fifty Bucks In Bangkok! (salutadventures.com)
- Chicken Massaman Curry (nourishednutrition.com)
- Making Fresh Coconut Milk (southpacificengagement.com)
- Prawns with coconut milk and spices (Prawn Malai Curry) (thesublimepalate.wordpress.com)
- Spicy Prawn Curry with Roasted Tomatoes (thehungrygiant.wordpress.com)
- King prawn recipes: grilled tiger prawns in Lampung sauce (telegraph.co.uk)
- My weekend in food and ‘health’ (garydavidlum.com)
- Buttery chilli prawns (gofullthrottlerecipes.wordpress.com)
- Chalk and cheese | Onred and Central Cafe | Canberra and Queanbeyan (garydavidlum.com)
- TGIBlackFriday.com Releases Free Black Friday iPhone App with Leaked Ads for Major Retailers Including Walmart, Best Buy, Target and More (prweb.com)
- Black Friday Roundup: The Best Tech Buys, Toy Deals, Shopping Tips, and More! (bellasugar.com)
- Black Friday Roundup: The Best Tech Buys, Toy Deals, Shopping Tips, and More! (fabsugar.com)
- 24 Hours in Canberra (hotelclub.com)