Tonight I went into overboard indulgence on ghastly food (well according to those close to me). The dish was centred on a 326 g can of New Zealand corned beef. This is premium quality meat and I am so happy to have found it at CostCo.
I used a 200 × 160 mm Pyrex dish and laid out two pieces of bread on the base to absorb all the oily flavour. I sauteed a finely chopped medium onion and three cloves of garlic in a non-stick wok. Once they softened I added a little white wine and the 326 g of corned beef. After the beef softened I added Clive of India curry powder, mixed dried herbs and some Worcestershire sauce. To this I added some coconut cream for flavour.
The topping consisted of two grated potatoes which I ‘dried’ with a salad spinner. I kept the potato water to thicken the beef. To the potato I added 100 g of Parmesan cheese plus a few crushed garlic cloves and an egg to bind it. I laid the beef on the bread and spread it out. I then added the potato and cheese topping. I grated a little more cheese on top and then popped into a moderate oven for 45 minutes.
When it came out it was nicely browned and cooked through.
The bread did the job and soaked up all the oily goodness and a lot of flavour.
So this is what my plate looked like. What you didn’t see is that I polished off the entire dish in true Man v Food style. It was awesome. I fear every pore will emit garlic tomorrow. I will stay pretty much to myself except for a big meeting in the afternoon. Oops. 🙂
- Indulging my disgusting or the best thing out of New Zealand (droffal.wordpress.com)
- New Years Day- Guinness Corned Beef, Cabbage, Potatoes, Black-eyed Peas, and Corn bread! (domesticateddish.wordpress.com)
- Chili Beef with an Avocado, Feta, Peppadew and Herb Salsa Recipe (avocadocentral.com)
- Englishman v. food? (bbc.co.uk)
- The most disgusting food known to Western man (wtf.videosift.com)