I know a lot of fellow bloggers have started 2012 with posts about resolutions and reviews of 2011. I thought my first post for 2012 should be about a weekend of food enjoyment.
On Friday night we caught up with friends and enjoyed steam boat and pavlova at their place. We’ve enjoyed steam boat with them before and it has always been a fantastic meal. Steam boat is also known as hot pot. I remember steam boat as a kid, Mum had an electric boat and we had many happy meals putting meat, vegetables and noodles into the simmering water. On Friday night we enjoyed marinaded pork, beef, chicken and prawns. We had three types of noodles and heaps of Chinese vegetables. At the end, three egg yolks were beaten in and we had the best soup to finish.
For dessert we had a pavlova lovingly made by our friends. This pav was amazing. The cream was whipped coconut cream and pouring cream. It had a lovely coconut flavour and a smooth texture. The fruit included banana, passion fruit, mango, pineapple, Chinese gooseberry (kiwifruit), blueberries and strawberries.
The platter was about 60 cm in diameter. Four adults polished it off in one hit. It was awesome.
My first (of three) helping.
We finished the evening with chocolate and port. Well I didn’t have port, but it was a great evening. Lots of laughs. We really treausre these times with our friends. Especially the work and social related conversations. I’m glad I don’t drink otherwise I’d forget how much I laugh when we’re all together.
On Saturday night we caught up with more friends and enjoyed a longed after roast lamb dinner. The lamb shoulder had been prepared by a butcher and split to ensure an even cooking. The lamb pieces were placed over cloves of garlic and rosemary stems. Over the lamb more garlic and rosemary were added. Aluminium foil covered the meat and then the roasting tray was placed in the oven at 230 °C for 20 minutes after which is was turned down low to between 150 and 170 °C for a few hours. The low slow cooking ensures a succulent product with meat that pulls away easily from the bones. The meat was the most amazing roast lamb I’ve ever had. Better than my mother’s roast leg of lamb, better than the butterflied legs I’d cooked before, and even better than the Greek spit roasted lamb from a pathology department barbecue from a few years ago. I love lamb, especially roast lamb, this was the best ever. It was accompanied by smash potatoes and roasted carrot, sweet potato and parsnips.
Apparently this lamb dish is a favourite amongst many of our friends’ friends who enjoy it for a Christmas lunch. I can understand why.
My plate (the first helping of two).
After dinner we enjoyed Bron’s sticky date pudding. I’ve had this before and her sticky date is to die for. Not only is the pudding good but she also makes the custard and butterscotch sauces from scratch.
The ice cream was Weis’ vanilla bean.
It was a great evening of amazing food and company. A great food journey for us all.
This morning we enjoyed eggs Benedict. It was awesome.
The yolk was perfect.
This afternoon we went and watched Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. It was very good.
I’ll get back to you later as we continue our food journey.
- imabonehead: Pomegranate Roasted Leg of Lamb Recipe | Relish.com (relish.com)
- Yes! I did eat all that meat. (garydavidlum.com)
- Is there a word better than awesome for tonight’s dinner? (garydavidlum.com)
- The Pavlova-Off (raspberriesandruminations.com)
- Double Layer Pavlova (loveandmacaron.wordpress.com)
- Orange Flower Pavlova with Coconut Cream, Pistachio & Meyer Lemon (roostblog.com)
- Pavlova (loveandmacaron.wordpress.com)
- Birthday Pavlova (loveandmacaron.wordpress.com)
- Herb Roasted Leg of Lamb (marksdailyapple.com)
- My succulent roast lamb shoulder (garydavidlum.com)
- Crispy Leg of Lamb and Ginger Avocado Mustard Recipe (avocadocentral.com)
- To scoop or not to scoop. (mincedreviews.wordpress.com)
- Hot Pot Weather (myrecipefeed.wordpress.com)
- It’s noodle time: crispy mah mee with chicken and prawns (thebigfatnoodle.com)
- Pavlova with Blackberries and Honey Drizzle (mapetitemaisonverte.com)
- A Better Design for Pavlova (I Hope..) (loveandmacaron.wordpress.com)